Annual Conference Session 2017
2017 Annual Conference Session | Jekyll Island, GA | June 4-7
The 2018 Annual Conference Session will be held on Jekyll Island, GA June 3-6, 2018.
Click here to view the 2017-2018 Clergy Appointments.
Please note: if you find a discrepancy in the appointment list please contact your district office.
2017 Annual Conference Evaluation
Annual Conference Wrap-up
Sermons & Bible Studies
Vital Signs Assessment Tool
The “Alive Together in Worship” theme was woven throughout the Annual Conference session as Dr. Lovett Weems, Distinguished Professor of Christian Leadership at Wesley Theological Seminary, taught three sessions based on his book, “Overflow: Increase Worship Attendance and Bear More Fruit.” Each of the sessions was geared toward helping the conference achieve its goal of increasing average worship attendance by 10 percent.
Bishop Bryan presented attendees with a “Vital Signs for Healthy Congregations Assessment Tool” that can be used for personal reflection as well as direction for critical conversations within local congregations. More tools can be found at www.sgaumc.org/vitalsigns.
- 2017 Annual Conference session refreshing, rejuvenating, alive
- Bishop Bryan presides over first annual conference session in South Georgia
- Conference approves two resolutions
- New annual conference venue offers beautiful views, opportunities for outdoor fun
- Vital Signs moments highlight ways Conference is alive
- Remembering those who have gone before us
Special Offering for Disaster Response: $24,886.51
Special Relief: $2,660.03
Ministerial Education Fund: $2,976.28
Vital Sign Videos
- Methodist Home for Children and Youth
- Open Door Community House
- Wesley Community Centers, Inc.
- Magnolia Manor
- Wesley Glen
- Epworth By The Sea
Guest Preacher and Teachers for the 2017 Annual Conference Session:
- Sunday Opening Worship: Bishop James Swanson, Mississippi Episcopal Area
- Thursday Memorial Service: Bishop B. Michael Watson, Ecumenical Officer of the Council of Bishops
- Monday Ordination & Commissioning: Bishop R. Lawson Bryan, South Georgia Episcopal Area
- Teaching Moments: Dr. Lovett Weems, Professor at Wesley Theological Seminary
Social Media for the 2017 Annual Conference
What is Annual Conference?
Each year—traditionally in June for the South Georgia Conference—all clergy members and an equal number of lay members selected from the local churches attend their conference’s Annual Conference session and meet together to worship, fellowship, and conduct the business of the conference, which may last 3-5 days. During these sessions, members of the conference hear reports of past and ongoing work; adopt future goals, programs and budgets; ordain clergy members as deacons and elders; and elect delegates to Jurisdictional and General Conferences (every 4 years). The bishop presides over these meetings.