FROM THE BISHOP
JAMES R. KING, JR.
Simply stated, 20-1-5 is a goal of the South Georgia Annual Conference to focus on growing in our understanding of Jesus Christ in order to become more like him as his disciples. This goal was presented at the 2014 annual conference session. Since our next gathering as an annual conference will take place in 2015 we connected the goal with the year.
There are several reasons!
1. As Christians we made a promise during the service of our Baptismal Covenant by saying, “I do” to the question:
Do you confess Jesus Christ as your Savior,
put your whole trust in his grace,
and promise to serve him as your Lord,
in union with the church which Christ has opened
to people of all ages, nations, and races?
2. Our vision is to Grow A Christlike World.
3. Our mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
4. There are too many Christians in the church who have not studied the life of Jesus Christ with the intent to be more like him. Some of these Christians hold positions in the structure of the church without any desire to have their behavior reflect the love of God through Jesus Christ.
5. There are too many Christians in the church with unresolved hurt that has left them with painful emotional scars. Jesus Christ teaches us how to live in right relationships with God and each other.
6. The first step in being formed as a disciple is to be taught. The Bible teaches that our minds are to be renewed. Knowing and growing in the faith is an essential first step in formation.
7. Unless more Christians know the way of Christ, they will not have the love experience necessary to follow him.
Participants in the 20-1-5 focus goal on disciple making are to commit to the following five steps:
1. Pray for God to order my steps as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
2. Read at least one gospel (Matthew, Mark, Luke or John).
3. Participate in a gospel discussion group, Sunday school, Bible Study, or CLU, etc.
4. Keep score of 1, 2, and 3.
5. Report your score.
Begin now! You can begin as a participant at any time during 2014 and 2015 as long as you complete the five steps by June 1, 2015.
Until next time, remember – God’s will for us is good. We must do the rest.
Growing a Christlike world.
James R. King, Jr.