When this church was built, Drayton, in Dooly County, was a village of several stores, a saloon, a post office, and a courthouse. In 1840, the present church was built on land deeded in 1848
. Mrs. Temlie Brooks recalled that as a nine-year-old in the 1800s, she attended regularly sitting in the balcony. When the church for black members was built across Turkey Creek, the same preacher served both churches for a time. In the 1980s, asbestos siding protected the outside, electric lights replaced the two kerosene lamps, (one for the preacher, and the other for the people) and the pump organ was silent. In the 1940s, the pulpit was relocated making three classrooms at the end of the building. In 1980, a wooden annex was added. Though often discontinued, the Sunday school has been restarted just as often, also the women's work. This church has been on different charges, such as 1919 Lilly Circuit with Lilly, Drayton, Shiloh, and Pleasant Valley and Smyrna added in 1930; Byromville-Lilly Charge with Drayton, Pleasant Valley, and Bakersfield. When Bakersfield closed in 1961, its members joined Drayton. In 1905, when Dooley County divided, the town "fell apart," but this church survives.
In 2003, the church held its first Vacation Bible School in approximately thirty years with twenty children in attendance. In 2009, the church completed a new fellowship hall which included a kitchen and restrooms. It was dedicated in 2010.