In 1958, Rev. Dr. Anthony Hearn and Rev. Thomas H. Johnson envisioned a new congregation on the south side of Savannah. With the help of Eddie Carter and Johnny Morgan, the property was secured on November 6, 1958. On Sunday, March 1, 1959, an organizational meeting was held and plans were set for a church to begin the next Sunday in the block building already located on the property. Rev. W. A. Kelley preached the first sermon and began a two-week revival. Sunday school started on March 15, 1959, with Mr. Fred Peacock as the superintendent. Charter night was held on March 25, 1959, with 109 charter members. The Woman's Society of Christian Service was organized on May 21, 1959, in the home of Mrs. Gene King. During the 1959 South Georgia Annual Conference, Rev. Thomas Johnson was assigned as the church's first pastor. MYF and Vacation Bible School were also held in 1959. The block building used as a sanctuary was expanded with the help of the men of the church and the cottage which was used for Sunday school classes received a new roof, porch and enclosed carport.
In the following years, more land was acquired. Groundbreaking for the first permanent building occurred on Sunday, June 18, 1961. The first building was a sanctuary/fellowship hall (now Horton Hall), a kitchen, Sunday school rooms, and restrooms. The block building was to remain the church's office and Sunday school rooms. The cottage was used for overflow classrooms. The consecration service was held on June 24, 1962, with Bishop Frank L. Robertson presiding. In 1967, the old parsonage was sold and a new one purchased on Windsor Road. The educational wing was completed in 1971. The present sanctuary was opened on January 9, 1977, with Bishop William R. Cannon and Dr. James C. Varnell, Jr. presiding at the service. An associate pastor was assigned in 1976, and Horton Hall was renovated in 1981. The Christian Life Center was completed in 1990.