At the third quarterly conference of Trinity Church held in June 1866, an effort was being made to establish a city mission. Cornelius D. Rogers was appointed to secure a place for the mission and Emanuel Heidt was appointed to have it furnished. A room was secured in the Chatham Academy building and Cornelius Rogers had it furnished because Emanuel Heidt had "other fish to fry." Brother J. H. Newman was appointed Sunday school superintendent. Rev. Wynn returned to Savannah and served the city mission. On November 25, 1867, the city mission was called the Second Methodist Church and City Mission and Rev. D. D. Cox were appointed
. Rev. Cox was offered a little church on Drayton St. which he eagerly accepted. On April 12, 1868, the congregation moved into the "Coffee Pot Church," called so due to its octagonal shape, and named it Wesley Church. W. S. Hubbard, J. H. Webster, J. L. Clements and A. C. Miller was the first stewards to be elected
. Examination of the moral of church members was an important part of the steward's work and, during the first meeting, it was reported that one of the members was "walking disorderly." At the steward's meeting on June 1, 1868, a motion was made to take a collection each Sabbath morning to defray costs and support the pastor. It was unanimously adopted.
In 1871, a mission church in the southwestern part of the city known as New Houston was organized from Wesley Church. A yellow fever epidemic broke out in September 1876, and thirty-two members of Trinity and Wesley died during the outbreak including, Dr. Myers of Trinity Church. The name of the church was changed to Wesley Monumental when ground was broken for a new church on June 30, 1875, but due to financial strains, the construction was not complete until 1887. The building was dedicated on March 31, 1890. In 1912, the new organ was installed in the church and, in May 1938, the Men of Wesley group was formed.
On August 2, 1945, a fire was discovered in the roof but the steel ceiling in the sanctuary and the work of the fire department kept the building from being destroyed. Plans were made to rebuild and the first service in the renovated building was on Easter Sunday, 1946. Also in 1946, a parsonage was purchased on East Victory Drive. In August 1953, lightning again ignited the roof of the church and, again, the steel ceiling and fire department kept the church from being destroyed. When the church was repaired, the Sunday school rooms were turned into offices, the kitchen was remodeled and the Memorial Chapel was added. The Walker Memorial building was purchased and renovated in 1961, and, in 1963, the large, country estate on Moon River was offered for use.