The justices of the Superior Court of Effingham County deeded one half of a fractional lot of the town of Springfield to the trustees of the Springfield Methodist Church on May 2, 1831. In 1835, Rev. T. C. Benning was appointed to the Springfield circuit. The first building was destroyed by fire on June 12, 1902. The second church building was located on property deeded by Mrs. J. Amelia Rahn. During the pastorate of Rev. W. D. Raburn in 1946, the congregation decided to build a more permanent type of church structure. E. P. Marshall of Savannah was the architect and S. T. Slater of Cobbtown was the contractor. It was dedicated on September 11, 1949, by Bishop Arthur J. Moore. The educational annex was completed in 1953, and additional office space and Sunday school rooms were completed in 1979.
The first meeting of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society was in 1903, with Mrs. S. J. Simmons as president. Plans were made to improve the educational plant and ground was broken on August 23, 1987. The renovation was completed in June 1988 and included more Sunday school rooms, a larger social hall, more kitchen space, and several other improvements
. The new hall was named Dent hall after Rev. Dr. Joel Dent, pastor of Springfield UMC. A second Sunday morning worship service began in 1990. A new parsonage was completed in 1997. A Family Life Center was consecrated in April 2002. During 2003-2004, the sanctuary was renovated and enlarged, the education building renovated, and the grounds re-landscaped. A copper steeple was added in July 2004. On May 17, 2015, the new Education/Conference Center was dedicated honoring the late Bishop Marion Edwards, a past member of the church.