Turkey Branch UMC was organized by Gideon Mallette when he settled in this area in 1785. He took up residence with his wife and immediately built a house of worship nearby. The structure was made of logs and named Turkey Branch Meetinghouse as part of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It became part of the Savannah Circuit in 1793. Construction of the church sanctuary as it stands today began in 1858. The timber was sawn on a nearby water mill and a framed weatherboard house with floor and ceiling was built. More construction took place in 1894 including planed lumber for the ceiling and pews arranged down each side with a partition in the center so that men could sit on one side and women the other. This design was changed in the 1940s when the partition was replaced with a center aisle and the two front doors replaced with one, a large door in the center. An entrance hall, metal roof, and two Sunday school rooms were also added. In 1951, a social hall with Sunday school rooms was completed. In 1962, Turkey Branch joined Clyo, Mizpah and Silver Hill to form the North Effingham Charge.
On April 30, 1972, the congregation, by a majority ballot, voted to leave the UMC. Litigation ensued and seven years later the courts ruled that the UMC owned the physical property
. Members returned to Turkey Branch and the South Georgia Conference
, and the church was reorganized. Rev. J. Kell Hinson came out of retirement to supply the church for two years.