In 1886-1887, nine Methodists organized this church with Rev. J. L. Gilmore as the first pastor. Services were held in the courthouse until a church was built. In December 1887, a deed was secured for the property on which the church now stands. The property was brought from the Wise family. It was a frame building with a steeple completed in 1888. It was a plain, wooden structure with a steeple and bell. There was a cemetery on the north side of the property for the Wise family. The trustees at this time were B. E. Turner, W. N. Hall, George S. Blackburn, John A. Smith and Dr. M. M. Holland. The original parsonage was built in 1891, with G. S. Johnston a chairman of the building committee. In 1902, during the pastorate of Rev. Whitley Langston, a brick building replaced the frame one.
The present educational building was started during the pastor of Rev. Leland Moore and completed in 1926. The building committee chairman was Fred T. Lanier and the treasurer was J. L. Renfore. In 1951, the parsonage was torn down and a new house built on the same lot. The parsonage was then converted into office space and Sunday school classrooms. Ministers lived in several places until a parsonage was bought in 1965. In the fall of 1959, the first service was held in the present Gothic building designed around the three-part plan of the Biblical Temple in Jerusalem.
The present sanctuary of the church was dedicated on November 3, 1974. Statesboro FUMC celebrated its centennial anniversary on October 24-25, 1987. It has been in three districts. It began in the Dublin District in 1907. Then, it was assigned to the Savannah District and, in 1963, was put in the Statesboro District, when it was created. Currently, it is in the Northeast District.