Records show that there was a Methodist Church building at Jacksonboro in 1828. The church was granted a charter by the General Assembly on December 20, 1828, and the trustees were Seaborn Goodall, Isaac Bryan, Peyton L. Wade, John Green, James Boston, William Smith and Jacob Bryan. In 1847, the city of Sylvania was laid out and a plot of four acres was set aside for the construction of a Methodist Church. This is the present location of this church. The trustees in 1854, were Charles Church, Jacob H. Wells, Samuel Varnedoe, Arthur Robbins, Jr. and Edmund B. Gross. The first pastor of this church, Rev. Albert G. Rowland, was mentioned in 1853. The first building was a frame building with a very tall spire. In the early 1900s, the sanctuary needed remodeling and, under the pastorate of Rev. Lot Warwich, plans were made. During Rev. C. G. Ernest's leadership, work was completed. The spire was cut down to a dome and two classrooms were added to the front of the building. More renovation occurred between 1920 and 1930, during Rev. O. E. Heath's pastorate.
The original parsonage was located at 307 South Main Street and was built prior to 1891. In the early 1920s, a second parsonage was bought. This was a frame house next door to the church. The first pastor to live in this parsonage was Rev. R. E. Bailey. In 1952, a four bedroom, a brick parsonage was completed. Rev. W. B. Cheshire was the first pastor to live in this third parsonage. Under Rev. Alvis A. Waite's pastorate in 1959, groundbreaking for remodeling of the sanctuary and the construction of a new, brick educational building was held. A youth director was hired for the first time in 1970, and a passenger van bought in 1973. In 1975, the Allen digital organ was purchased and "the Needlers" completed a needlepoint project in 1975, including 20 chancel cushions and three pulpit chair cushions all with Christian symbols. In 1982, under Rev. William G. Brown's leadership, extensive renovations were made to the sanctuary including the addition of the stained glass windows. The property adjoining the church was purchased for paved parking and grounds in 1984. On December 16, 1990, a parsonage was built on land that had been deeded to the church by Dr. and Mrs. R. T. Tebeau.