The roots of Methodism in this area started in 1835, when Ben Brewton, at the request of his mother, built a log chapel near Shuman's Pond. Called Free Church, it was open to all denominations. In 1854, the Methodist members of Free Church joined others to build a new church in Brewton's Cemetery. Ben Brewton donated the lumber that was used in the construction. Rev. Philemon C. Harris became the pastor. In 1885, a new and larger church was built by Rev. Simon Hearn who was, at that time, a contractor. The trustees were Berry Brewton, William Brewton, and Marshall Smith. In 1899, when forty members moved from Brewton's Chapel to organize a church nearer their homes, Hagan church was started and a building erected. R. A. Scott was the first Sunday school superintendent. Rev. R. M. Booth was the first pastor having succeeded Rev. J. L. Rast, who died during the measles epidemic in 1898. In 1944, the old building was torn down to make way for the new one, but during the eight years it took to finish, the Methodists held services in the Hagan Baptist and Christian churches. Members responsible for the construction of the new sanctuary were M. C. Rustin, S. C. Cooper, and Waldo Bradley.