In early 1939, the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South made known to several families in the Denmark/Nevils area that it was interested in starting a church. Rev. J.R. Webb, District Superintendent for the Savannah area, gathered community leaders including Mr. and Mrs. G.C. Avery, Dr. and Mrs. C.E. Stapleton, Mrs. H.C. Burnsed, Mr. and Mrs. V.J. Rowe, and Mr. and Mrs. C.J. Martin, and 5 goals were set. They were to hold the first service in early June 1939, meet as often as possible, organize a Sunday school for the youth, organize a VBS and minister to area families. An abandoned depot building was donated by the Hodges family for services until Raymond & B.M. Hodges donated the property to build a church. Materials, time and talent were donated and a white frame structure was built. In February 1940, Rev. O.B. Thomas preached the first service in the new structure. The present Nevils UMC church building stands on the same site as the first church structure.