In the journal of the second session of the South Georgia Annual Conference in 1868, Bishop George F. Pierce said, "The Board advises also a mission to be formed of a portion of Burke County, to be called Millen.” In 1869, at the Third Annual Conference, minutes state that Rev. L. A.
Darscy served the Millen Mission. It went on to recommend that the Millen Mission be discontinued and the churches attached to adjacent circuits. Millen does not appear at Annual Conference again until 1872 when
the appointment for the Millen Mission was to be supplied. In 1873, Rev. Richard W. Rogers was appointed to Millen. Rev. Rogers, who was teaching school in the lower part of the Masonic lodge, conducted Sunday school and preaching services and with help from Mr. H. A. Lester and Mrs. R. N. Berrien, the first church was begun. At this point, though, the Millen Mission is again discontinued and made part of the Scarboro Church. In the early 1880s, James Belcher gave the land for a church and the trustees were Rev. Thomas B. Lanier, Mr. H. A. Lester, and Mr. James H. Daniel. James H. Daniel, Jr. was the first person to join the new church. In 1895, Millen and Midville were linked together as a Circuit
but were separated after two years. In 1905, records show that Millen MECS gave $485 toward special mission support.
In 1906, Mrs. Jane Belcher gave the land for a Gothic structure for the Methodists but the plans were never completed. The contract for the church was awarded to Winder Lumber Co. in 1909. Work began on August 1, and the cornerstone laid on October 12. Included in the cornerstone was a 1906 Discipline, Methodist Hymnal, list of church members and front page from the Christian Advocate
. The first Sunday school held in the new church occurred on April 24, 1910. Rev. W. M. Blitch preached during the first worship service on June 5, 1910. Bishop Warren A. Candler preached in the new sanctuary on February 5, 1911.
In 1926, Rev. Albert Trulock was appointed to Millen as one of the youngest preachers ever and proclaimed, "To guarantee either to keep you awake or pronounce the benediction and let you go home and sleep."
A new building committee was convened in 1953 to build an educational wing and construction began on November 30, 1954. The one-story brick structure surrounds a quadrangle formed by the design of the building joining the older building at the top of the U on each side. It included a chapel, parlor with a small kitchen, social hall, kitchen, 14 classrooms and 3 restrooms.
In more recent times, Millen has become the chief financial supporter for the Georgia Southern Wesley Foundation, initiated a second-mile missionary giving, purchased a van, began a dial-a-prayer ministry, contributed to the Children's Home and begun Sunday afternoon singing at the Bethany Home.
There have been five members of Millen UMC who have gone on to ministry including John Russell Bargeron, Rev. R. E. Boone, Sr., Ed Reeves, Mrs. Ardelia Robinson as a deaconess, and Douglas Reid "Bunker" Sasser.