In 1909, the same year that a charter for the town of Newington was issued, the railroad was built. Since there was no church in town, the few Methodists held Sunday school in a shack, until it burned, and then on the platform of the depot. By 1913, with the growth of the town, the Methodists decided to build a church. Mrs. Jean Carter, in charge of getting donations for the church, asked Mr. Brinson, owner of the railroad, for the first donation. Thinking it a joke, he gave a dime. Mrs. Carter published all donations in the county paper. When Mr. Brinson realized the entire county know of his ten-cent donation, he was embarrassed and made a sizable gift. The brick church was built in 1916, and memorials and individual gifts have furnished it. In 1919, Newington was on the Oliver Circuit; in 1940 it was on the Newington Circuit with the same churches: Newington, Black Creek, Blue Springs, and Lee Memorial. In 1968, Rev. Charles Dennis was pastor of Newington Charge which included Newington, Black Creek, Blue Springs, and Oliver.
The first annex building was built in 1937-1946 and the second one in 1960-1964. The church was named as part of Charge of the Year in 1963, 1981 and 1983 for the Statesboro District. During the early 1980s, the church became a station church. A parsonage was purchased in 1987. During the 1990s the church had an active MYF group, two UMW Circles, and a Men's Club. In 1991-1992 the sanctuary was renovated and additional stained glass windows installed. In 1999-2000 additional sanctuary renovations included new lighting, chandeliers, new carpet, pew pads, and a new roof. The building was also painted inside and out.