Covid-19 Update from the Bishop & Cabinet: Watching carefully the rise in COVID infection rates

Bethesda UMC - Coastal


  In 1915, the congregation organized this church in the old Springhead school. The first pastor was Rev. M. A. Shaw and the first building was erected shortly thereafter. The church building was destroyed in 1935, and the present building built on four acres of land bought from G. W. Hester. This second church building was dedicated on April 17, 1938. A social hall was added in 1957, and an educational building in 1963. The church was a member of the Rincon Charge when it was selected Savannah District Circuit of the Year in 1951, and conference Charge of the Year in 1957. The present charge was named Charge of the Year in 1968.
The Woman's Missionary Society was first mentioned in relation to Bethesda UMC on January 3, 1924. This group has endured many changes from this time and the Day Circle, who were the original members of this WMS, had its last meeting in December 1996. The women's group continued on in the Mary-Martha Circle which was formed in June 1990 and met at night to accommodate working women. In 2009, there was only one women's group called the Hope Circle with 39 members. The Bethesda Women's Association has published three cookbooks, Family Favorites (1989), Sharing Our Blessings (1996), and The Fruit of the Spirit (2005). Funds raised from the sale of these cookbooks have been given back to the church by contributing to projects that improve and beautify the appearance of the church.
In 1999, Bethesda UMC became a Station Church and started many outreach ministries including a Stephen's Ministry, Hope Circle, Children's Ministry, and Manna House. A new addition was added to the front of the church which includes two restrooms, a handicapped ramp, a covered porch, and a garden. A Church Secretary, Youth Director, and Minister of Music were also hired.
After 2000, the monthly suppers became weekly Wednesday night dinners, a Men's Club was formed, and a Christmas Party hosted for the Department of Family and Children's Services. The Men's Club started with a meeting on February 28, 2009, and their mission statement read, "making strong families through strong men through Christian fellowship and prayer."  The Youth Program is active each fall by sponsoring a Pumpkin Patch. This started as a fundraiser but has become an outreach to the community. A Christmas party complete with gifts is held for foster children under an Effingham county DEFAC program each December and Bethesda UMC was named the WTOV TV Home Town Hero for providing free meals to veterans at the Wednesday night supper and Bible study. The highlight of our modern history, though, was celebrating 100 years of worship by the congregation in 2015. There was standing room only and an old fashion meal complete with fried chicken, homemade pound cake, and hand-churned ice cream. 



3608 Midland Rd
Guyton GA 31312

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters


Conference Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Administrative Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.