First named Bethany, this church was organized in 1854, and the first building erected about 1860, in a location about a mile from the present site. A deed from Reuben English conveyed the 11.5-acre site to Joshua Smith, Emanual R. Cox, Thomas J. Lyons, Edmund Kennedy, and William H. Vanbrackle. Frequent prayer meetings were held in the homes of members at regular intervals and church meetings were also held at the schoolhouse. In the early 1900s, the church was moved into the town of Ellabell because they expected the town to increase the population of the church. The current church was built in 1904, while Rev. J. H. Frisbee was the pastor. Rev. Frisbee was also a contractor and did the interior finishing, including crafting the pulpit and altar rail from heart-of-pine. Much of the material for the new church came from the old church. In 1948, a four-room building was added to be used for Sunday school classes during the tenure of Rev. Bruce Wilson. An educational building to the rear of the original structure was completed in 1965. A new parsonage was built in 1977, due to a fire at the old parsonage. Stained-glass windows were added in 1983, depicting the life of Jesus. In 1984, Ellabell UMC became a station church and accepted its full-time pastor, Rev. Regina Santos. A front porch was erected in 1993.