In 1854, in an old Baptist church that had ben bought for $70, this church began. The church, as well as the community that grew up around the grist mill on the creek, were named Black Creek in honor of the creek. Rev. T.R. McMichael was the first pastor. In 1919, while Rev. J. D. McCord was pastor, Black Creek was on the Oliver circuit, Savannah District, along with Blue Springs, Newington, Lee Memorial, Mizpah and Oliver. When the Statesboro District was formed in 1963, Black Creek was put on the Newington Charge with Blue Springs, Lee Memorial and Newington. Rev Fred Glover was pastor during this change.