The land for this church was given by Miss Evelina Downing on October 1, 1888. She asked that no cemetery be on the land for as long as she lived. This request was honored. The first building was an old cotton gin. Once, during a service in the old building, "a wind storm came up and rocked the church on its pillars". This led the preacher and members to start construction on a new church building. The gin was torn down and replaced in 1944-1945 with the present building. In 1951, classrooms, a kitchen, central heating and central air conditioning were added. The cemetery was started in 1958 and Kate Mallard Pryor was the first to be buried. The steeple was built by Henry Mallard and, in 1967, an organ and chimes in the steeple were added in memory of Josephine Pryor. The deaconess, Miss Lizzie Pryor, came from Blue Springs UMC.