The meeting that led to the establishment of this church was held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. L. F. Johnston with eighteen people present. L. H. Smith gave land for the church and a tent was erected on it with the first service held on September 18, 1940. A Sunday school was started in September and the church was officially organized on October 13, 1940. There were forty charter members registered and the first pastor was Rev. J. R. Blackwell. Although the church uses its community's name, it is officially a Memorial because the building was built in 1943 with memorial gifts and much labor contributed by the members. In those days it was a member of the Wildwood Charge. A Men's Club was also started in 1943. On July 13, 1947, a new education building, Scott Hall, was used for the first time. In 1948, the old parsonage was sold and a new brick parsonage was built on the lot adjoining the church property. The Fred Hooks Educational Building was erected in the early 1960s and a new vestibule was added in 1969. A third parsonage was built in 1987 on the site of the previous parsonage. The Youth House was purchased in 2007, but it now serves as the home of the Youth Minister. A new Allen organ was installed on September 17, 2006. In 2008, a new non-denominational Praise and Worship Service (The Vine) was started for middle and high school students.