The New Houston Street Methodist Episcopal Church in Savannah, Georgia, was dedicated in February 1877. It was a small wooden structure. There was growth in population on the south side of Savannah and a new building was needed. While scouting property, members found a beautiful, unoccupied lot owned by Mr. J. A. Jaudon. Mr. Jaudon agreed to allow a temporary chapel be built on this location. The plans were drawn by George Turner and Rev. J. W. Simmons, the junior preacher at Wesley Monumental, was very involved. Fifteen days after construction began and four weeks after the land was secured, the chapel was complete. One week later, Sunday school was established with General George P. Harrison as superintendent. Classes were held in the morning, very unusual for the time so that teachers from Wesley Monumental and Trinity could teach
. In 1878, Rev. John Wesley Simmons was appointed pastor with a beginning membership of fourteen. Rev. Simmons married, moved from this church and returned ten years later. When he returned, the Sunday school enrollment was two hundred and the church plant had been enlarged with greater seating capacity. The Woman's Missionary Society was organized on December 3, 1882. They celebrated their Centennial Celebration on December 5, 1982, with a gala event and ladies dressed in period attire.
On November 18, 1890, the cornerstone was laid for a new structure. The dedication was held two years later on October 4, 1892, with the name being changed to Grace Methodist Church. The Epworth League was organized in June 1897 and boasted 97 members. In 1903, the Sunday school celebrated 25 years and was among the leading programs in Georgia Methodism. In 1926, plans were initiated to build a three-story, brick educational building which was completed and dedicated on October 11, 1930.