The Isle of Hope Methodist Church was organized December 18, 1851, on the mainland near the intersection of Skidaway and Bethesda Roads. The site was a gift of Dr. Stephen Dupon by deed on June 29, 1859. The trustees were George W. Wylly, Simeon Z. Murphy, John B. Hogg, William Wait, T. A. Goodwin, Thomas J. Bransby and the Rev. William S. Baker. It was a simple, white frame church in the Early American architectural style. It had an alcove that contained seating for the pastor and an elevated pulpit. Later, the wing was torn out, two rooms were added in the rear and a porch was built across the front. The straight-backed pews were built of pine.
The church served as a hospital for Confederate troops during the Civil War and, among the Confederate soldiers, were 33 volunteers from Effingham County who died here and were buried in the churchyard. On the occasion of the Centennial of the sanctuary building in 1959, the church was moved from its original setting to its present setting.
The first superintendent of the Isle of Hope Union Church School was Samuel K. Ward. The first president of the Ladies Aid Society was Mrs. J. A. Moore. The Society raised money for the church ceiling, a new pulpit and a Sunday school room. In 1948, the old plastering was torn out and the walls replastered and painted. The benches were sanded and repainted. A rug was put down and Venetian blinds were placed in the windows. In 1950, the church became a full-time charge with its own minister. An educational building was constructed in 1951, and a new parsonage was purchased in 1957. The sanctuary was moved farther from the road in 1959. Another educational building was added in 1961.
In October 1970, the church sold the parsonage and purchased a new house. A contract was signed for the construction of the Sadie Cramer building that included a kitchen, 10 classrooms, 3 restrooms, a storage room and a fellowship hall with a seating capacity in excess of 200.
In 1984, during renovations to the sanctuary, the building was burned. Fortunately, during construction, the furnishings, original pews, and chancel rail were removed from the building. A new, enlarged church was completed in 1985 and the furnishings returned. The Sadie Cramer building was enlarged in 1989, and the sanctuary was enlarged again in 1997.