This church was organized on April 26, 1942, by twenty-eight charter members, most of whom came from the Clyde Methodist Church which was in the Ft. Stewart area. The first pastor was Rev. P. T. Holloway and the congregation met in a high school auditorium. The first building, still in use, was erected in 1947, on land given by Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Gill. The bell was brought from the old church at Clyde. In 1950, the Curry Annex was added, and in 1957 the Ivey Educational Building was added. The church was formerly on a charge with Silk Hope and Wildwood. The sanctuary was consecrated on Sunday, December 14, 1986, with Bishop Frank L. Robertson presiding.
Captain Matt Freeman, who grew up in Richmond Hill, was a third generation Marine pilot who was killed on August 7, 2009, in Afghanistan. In his last conversation with his mother, he asked her to send school supplies so that he could give them to the children he encountered in Afghanistan. In honor of Freeman and as a tribute to his love of children and desire to serve others, the church dedicated Matt's Backyard, a new park-like recreation area that gives the church and community's kids a fun and safe place to play. Families, friends, the congregation, and community rallied behind the project donating $33,000 in two months. The church's after-school program also benefits from the new playground.