Barney UMC was organized in August 1899, with 13 members. Brother W. W. Webb, a local preacher from Hahira, was sent to the church in 1900. The congregation met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. T. A. Rozier until a church was built. The Roziers donated the land for the church and Mr. E. C. Bridges, a sawmill man, provided the labor. A storm destroyed the original framework erected on the newly laid foundation but the building was completed and the first service held on November 30, 1900. The original pews were used until 1952, and the original pulpit, built in 1900 by Mr. Jim Chambers of "curly pine," is still used today.
As the church grew in numbers, the need was felt for Sunday school rooms so four rooms were made by partitioning off in the front and back of the church. Later, bathrooms were added and a deep well drilled. Central heat and air conditioning were installed, carpet in the sanctuary and classrooms added, and vinyl siding added to the exterior of the church. A social hall was built in 1997, which doubled the size of the original social hall. Barney UMC has been a part of many different charges but it was in the Valdosta District until 2014, when the area was redistricted. Mrs. Frances Rogers Zellers went to Korea as a missionary from this church.