This church struggled for existence for eight years when in 1878, a group of Methodists led by Mrs. Caroline Culpepper Cooper permanently established the organization. The first home of the little church, a crude wooden structure, was built a few years later during 1883. During the next twenty years, two new churches were erected. The first, a two-story frame building, was completed in 1895, on a corner lot one block north of the courthouse. A parsonage was built two years later adjacent to the church. In 1900, due to an increasing membership, a brick church was built in the same location
. This was the first brick church building in Moultrie. The cornerstone of the church was laid by the Masons on August 16, 1900. The brick church was built during the pastorate of Rev. W. H. Budd. Church records indicate that in 1902, Sunday school attendance was better than ever as an average of twenty attended each Sunday and the women had a flourishing Home Mission Society. The first district conference was held in Moultrie on August 28, 1900, with sixty delegates attending.
Membership increased and in 1914 a new sanctuary was needed. The lot was donated by Mr. and Mrs. M. M. Kendall and the building was completed in 1916, during the pastorate of Rev. E. M. Overby. A frame parsonage was built to the south of the present church but was later replaced by a two-story brick building which is present adjacent to the sanctuary
. During the terrible influenza epidemic of 1918, the Sunday school was converted into a temporary hospital where patients were cared for during winter months. By 1922, attendance was the best in history with an average of 385 attending each Sunday.
Under the leadership of Rev. Woodward Adams, a tremendous program of progress was begun during the early 1950s. The sanctuary was completely renovated and a balcony added. During the construction, services were held in the Colquitt Theatre building. In 1956, the present educational building was erected and, six years later, a beautiful chapel was dedicated in memory of the late Dr. and Mrs. G.F. Taylor. In 1970, a new parsonage was built using plans drawn up by church member and leading southern architect, William Frank McCall, Jr.