Prior to Tyson Memorial being organized, the North Moultrie Church was disbanded in 1925 and members moved to the downtown Methodist church. Rev. I. P. Tyson, the pastor of Moultrie First Methodist Church, became concerned about the need for a church in the north Moultrie area and, once he had retired from active ministry, he began to work towards that goal. Rev. Dr. Tyson set up an endowment fund and, when he died after WWII, it had enough money to start this journey. In 1950, Dorsey Matthews, Hamp Kendall, Rev. Morris P. Webb, District Superintendent of Valdosta District, Dr. Walter Blasingame, M. L. Lee and Elkin Taylor helped locate the site. They agreed that a spot looking upward from Sylvester Drive would be ideal but it was occupied by untended houses and litter
. The land, however, was available for sale and the price soon agreed upon. Rev. Clarence Weeks was appointed and a parsonage rented by Dr. Blasingame on Sylvester Drive. A tent was built on the site and the first service held in September 1950 with Rev. Kelly preaching. A Sunday school was organized immediately with Dorsey Matthews being elected Superintendent. Mr. and Mrs. George V. Cotton offered space where the congregation could meet until a church could be built. The Woman's Society of Christian Service was organized in 1951. The name was chosen as a memorial to Rev. Dr. Tyson who worked tirelessly to achieve this goal. The sanctuary was completed in September 1951, through the generous donations of the charter members. A Methodist Men's Club and MYF were organized and, in June 1952, Rev. J. Kell Hinson was appointed the pastor to the North Moultrie Charge. A parsonage was built on the church lot and used until 1966. At that time, a new, brick parsonage was built on a lot given by Mrs. Watley.
In June 1953, Rev. Paul Sauls became the first full-time pastor and, in May 1954, the church was dedicated to Bishop Arthur J. Moore in attendance
. A wing of the building, named Kendall Annex after Mr. and Mrs. Hamp Kendall, was constructed which included 8 classrooms and a pastor's study. A new brick parsonage was built under the pastorate of Rev. Joe Porterfield despite a sharp decline in membership due to military establishments in the area being phased out. In February 1977, the church was destroyed by fire. Members of the church and community removed the destroyed parts of the church from the site and, with insurance funds and donations, built a new sanctuary. Rev. Ronnie Register was appointed pastor in 1979 and the thirtieth anniversary of the church was celebrated in 1980.