In 1888, Sweetwater UMC was built adjacent to Sweetwater Creek in what was Coffee County. The original building, built of hand hewed lumber, still stands today and is located north of Pearson on Highway 441. The adornments in the sanctuary were carved by hand and the little, clapboard church on the hill served its community well. Sweetwater Methodist Episcopal Church, South established a school around 1890 for the children of parishioners and the surrounding population. The school was a typical one-room building with one teacher educating students in the fundamentals of reading, writing, and arithmetic. The school remained open until the city of Pearson enacted a school charter in 1906 establishing local schools for all children. Eventually, Sweetwater UMC was bricked and renovated with beautiful stained-glass windows donated by its members and family members of past members. Sweetwater UMC was built next to an already established cemetery used by local citizens who buried and marked the graves of those pioneers before them. Although it has many older, unmarked graves, the oldest marked graves date back to the 1890s. There are approximately one thousand graves which have been documented and a photo project is underway with about eighty-eight percent of the graves completed. The cemetery is still used today and is maintained by the Sweetwater Cemetery Committee. Today, Sweetwater UMC continues to hold Sunday school at 10:30 am and Sunday service at 11 am every Sunday. The church hosts a prayer breakfast every 5th Sunday at 7 am, as it has for thirty-five years. The fourth Sunday of June is observed as Homecoming Sunday.