This church in Atkinson County, named for Timothy Kirkland, was begun in 1887 or 1888, in a one-room log school house. The first pastor was Rev. Daniel Morrison. In 1890, the log building was replaced with the wooden building that is still being used. It was built on land deeded in 1890, by John C. Nichols. As early as 1919, Kirkland was a part of the Pearson Circuit. At that time there were Pearson, Bridge's Chapel, Sweetwater, Kirkland, Live Oak, and Wesley Chapel. In 1956, Rev. Jody Thigpen, guest preacher, held a revival and fifty new members joined the church during the two-week revival. In the mid-1950s Sunday school rooms were added across the back of the church. In the 1960s a front porch and steps were added. In the late 1970s the Social Hall was built and the graveyard dedicated December 1983. As of 2017, the church is in the Kirkland/Springhead Charge.