In the 1890s, Ocilla was a turpentine camp and two stores, but in 1897 Mr. J. F. King and five families had begun a Sunday school in a small school building. The next year, the church was organized. Rev. N. T. Pafford, the pastor at Irwinville, began preaching once a month in 1897, and the next year Rev. E. F. Register was sent to Mystic Circuit and he continued the services Rev. Pafford had begun. The first church was a commodious frame building and it served until 1912 when the present brick and granite building was erected at a new site
. Although classrooms had been built in the first unit, an additional annex was built in 1950 and dedicated by Bishop Arthur Moore
. In the early history of Irwin County, the 1840 Richardson Methodist Campground was incorporated by the legislature. It was named for Rev. Simon Peter Richardson whose leadership had been felt in the early years of history in this area. He was the presiding elder of a district that reached from Brunswick to St. Augustine, FL, and across to Albany, GA. Fifty years later this church was organized.
In 1962, the church began the Homecoming Day tradition of the "Fifty Year Club," honoring those church members of 50 years or more. During the late 1960s, the men's Saturday morning breakfast prayer group was organized. In the early 1990s, a pre-school kindergarten was started, a new parsonage built, and early morning services added on Sundays. The church celebrated its 100th anniversary in February 1998.