In 1893, Rev. E. L. Padrick was appointed to the Sumner and TyTy Circuit, Cordele District, which included five churches: Sumner, Ty Ty, Damascus, Poulan, and Shingler. Poulan is located 21 miles west of Tifton and 3 miles east of Sylvester. The church was begun in 1895, and a wooden building first constructed. The present brick church, built in 1962, stands at the corner of Cotton and Church Streets, on property donated by Mrs. T. L. Ousley. The Board of Church Extension in 1895 made a grant of $70.15 to Poulan as to other churches that "will speedily open the house to use free of debt." Another grant was made in 1895 for $50. There has been a Poulan Circuit in the Valdosta District since 1910, in which year the circuit had Poulan, Ty Ty, Sumner, and Shingler. In 1931-1948, Bethel was added to this circuit. Since 1965, this circuit had been composed of Poulan, Sumner, Damascus, and Shingler. Poulan became a station church in 1983.
In 1986, a new ceiling and stained glass windows were installed in the sanctuary. In the late 1980s, the grounds were landscaped and a choir loft added. The educational building, containing 7 Sunday school rooms and restrooms, was dedicated in April 1991. In 1994, Poulan was "Church of the Year" for the Valdosta District. In May 2012, the church was involved in Change the World weekend. The MYF made sandwiches for community children, the UMW prepared baskets for city shut-in residents, and the UMM did small repair projects for city residents.