The Brooks County courthouse was a small frame building of rough unpainted lumber situated on the site where the Methodist Church now stands when, in 1859, this congregation began holding services. They purchased the building from the county with Confederate money on March 3, 1864. Rev. R.W. Flournoy was the pastor of the Brooks Circuit and he preached in Quitman once a month. Rev. O.L. Smith, after 6 years as President of Wesleyan, moved to Brooks County and preached in the courthouse once a month until 1869. Quitman was the first church between Savannah and Thomasville to become a full-time station. This was 1868. In 1895, a new sanctuary replaced the courthouse. The high vaulted ceiling, intricately built, enhanced the sound of the pipe organ installed in 1911. In 1935, the church was brick veneered. In the 1950s, it was renovated and a brick education building and chapel added. It was the Valdosta District Church of the Year in 1963 and 1968. The Mite Society, begun 1874, changed its name to Nickle Club and then to the Parsonage Aid Society. In 1908, Quitman was host to the South Georgia Conference Annual Conference. In 2005, church members raised funds to help hurricane victims.