Covid-19 Update from the Bishop & Cabinet: Watching carefully the rise in COVID infection rates

Sparks UMC - South Central


History

Sparks UMC was organized in 1888, which is the same year that the town of Sparks was organized. They first met in an old schoolhouse but the land was soon secured from  A. Williams and a building constructed. The first pastor was Rev. J. W. Wells, who was also serving a church at Bayboro, west of Sparks. Sparks Collegiate Institute, a Methodist preparatory school organized in 1902, was one factor which contributed to the church's great growth and influence. At least two of the pastors who served the college also served the church. The Methodist conference withdrew its support for the school in 1927, and the school closed.
 
An educational building was completed in 1961, adding eleven large Sunday school rooms, a social hall, and kitchen. Under Rev. Truman Thomas's pastorate in 1971, the members voted to build a new sanctuary directly east of the old church. A building committee composed of Billy Spearman, Cloyd Bloser, and Andrew Sharpe was named and a brick building with a high steeple was built. One of the unique features of the church is a miniature church built to scale on the front lawn to carry announcements for the church. Many members helped in the construction and the church came to be known as "the church that God and men built."

 

Location

205 North Goodman Street (US 41)
Sparks GA 31647

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Administrative Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.