The exact year this church was organized is unknown but it is believed that the original church building was a small log structure constructed near a spring fed branch behind the present 110-year-old home place of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Folsom. The existing Salem UMC was built on its new location in 1856, on land that was deeded by Eli Driver Webb. The first trustees were Randall Folsom, Joseph T. Webb, William Varn, William D. Smith and Berry J. Folsom. It is believed that the first pastor of Salem was either Rev. Joseph T. Webb or Rev. Hamilton W. Sharpe, both local Methodist preachers of that era. Many of the citizens of the community attended school in a one-room school across the street from the church and, when needed, the church was also used for classroom space. When the school moved to the Five Points area, the county deeded the two acres of land to Salem Methodist Church.
In 1951, S. Turner Gordon donated a one-half acre of land on the west side of the church for the expansion of the cemetery. He also gave the timber to build Sunday school rooms. The 100-year centennial celebration was held in January 1956, under the pastorate of Zephoe Belcher, Jr. In 1963, new pews were installed, the two front doors were changed into one main door, and in 1970 a fence was installed around the cemetery and bathrooms were installed. In 1981, a picnic shelter was constructed across the road from the church, and in 1989 another acre of land was purchased to expand the cemetery. New carpet was installed and the interior was painted in 1996. Vinyl siding was added in 1998, and a metal roof was installed in 2004. The first fall festival was introduced in 2005. Salem UMC celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2006 under the pastorate of Rev. James Houseal.