In 1839 or 1840, Rev. William (Uncle Billy) Clements, a local Methodist preacher, settled in Worth County, about a mile northeast of the present site of Sumner. The house he built for worship was also used as a schoolhouse. This structure was used until 1880 when the building for the Sumner Church was relocated to Sumner
. The lumber for this church was a gift from Dan Garrett. In 1956, the present church building was remodeled after the Lovely Lane Chapel at Epworth by the Sea on St. Simons Island.
The name Sumner Circuit appears in the Conference Minutes from 1884-1909. In 1882, Sumner was on the Worth Circuit which included Shiloh, Antioch, Sumner, Puckett's, Wright's, Ty Ty and Frame. It has been in the following districts: Waycross 1881-1889; Thomasville 1890-1892; Cordele 1893-1894; and Valdosta 1895-1983. It has been on the Poulan Circuit from 1909-1983 when it again became head of the circuit.