Bemiss UMC was first known as Antioch and located in Piney Woods, 2.5 miles southeast of the Bemiss community. The church, organized in 1840, was a one-room structure which doubled as a school and church. Two brothers, Antioch members, cut timber from their land and built a larger building with pews of hand-cut and dressed yellow pine. By 1920, after the railroad came to Bemiss in 1911, Antioch was torn down and moved to Bemiss. As Bemiss, in 1935, a one-room building was erected on a new site. In 1961, on this present site, a concrete block building was built with members doing most of the work. On March 23, 1986, a Charge Conference was formed and a building committee named with members including Mike Davis, Wade DeLoach, Homer Spells, Rex Waller, Doni Ray, James Biles, Vicky Biles, Vernon Wright, Frank Procopio, Darryl Wood, Scott Metts, Fred Ramsey, Vance Boone and Elva Nelson. On Sunday, June 7, 1987, Rev. Lee Strother preached his last sermon in the former sanctuary and ground was broken for the new sanctuary.