In 1953-1954, the pastor of First Church, Rev. Mack Anthony, challenged his officials to begin a new church on the lots purchased in north Valdosta. Seventy members accepted. The birth of Park Avenue Church was witnessed by a capacity crowd of one hundred thirty people in the Garden Center on Sunday Evening, June 27, 1954. Rev. George Zorn was assigned as pastor. By January 1955, the membership was two hundred eighty-five, of whom two hundred thirty-five were transfers from First Valdosta UMC. The lots were deeded to the new church in January 1955, and by December 1955, a parsonage, educational unit containing classrooms, and a fellowship hall for worship use were opened for service
Other additions, including a Youth Building, followed and on November 22, 1970, the new sanctuary was open for service: First Church joined them for the service and more than eight hundred people attended. Rev. Frank Robertson, the pastor of First, preached and Rev. Thomas Johnson, Sr. was the host pastor. In 1974, this church was host to the South Georgia Conference for its annual session. Rev. William O. Powell was the pastor. In 1962, the church Boy Scout Troop was reactivated. A new parsonage was constructed in 1968. In the 1970s, the United Methodist Men's Club was organized, Woman’s Society for Christian Service became UMW, and Park Avenue Concerns (PAC) and Dynie's Dynamos were started. Brownie and Cub Scout troops met at the church as well. In May 1979, the church celebrated its 75th anniversary. In 2006, the church consecrated its new educational building and renovated fellowship hall.