Weeks Chapel UMC - Southwest


History

In 1854, a few settlers peeled pine logs to build a public meeting house. It served as the church and courthouse until a frame building replaced it in 1885. For 13 years the new church was called "Lost Ball," because a young boy, J.W. Weeks, lost his ball in the construction while the members were working on the building. The late Minnie Weeks declared she didn't approve the name. On Sunday, as the people gathered, behind the pulpit they saw a fresh sign, "Weeks Methodist Chapel." In 1925, that building was razed and the present building erected. Additions have been made since then, including five classrooms and a social hall. In 1940, it was on the Norman Park Circuit with Norman Park, Crossland, and Kimball. Since 1951, Lelia and Weeks have been a charge, with Ellenton with them from 1953-1955.
Leila/Weeks Chapel was Charge of the Year in 1985 for the Valdosta District. In 1988, the church became a station. In 1999, the kitchen was enlarged and renovated and new bathrooms added. In 2000, the church had an active Sunday school, Wednesday night prayer meetings, Men’s Club, UMW Circles, and a senior’s covered-dish supper once a month.

 

Location

Cool Springs Road
Norman Park GA

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

735 Pierce Avenue - Macon, GA 31204

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-475-9286

Administrative Office

520 Professional Drive, Suite 1 - Macon, GA 31201

PO Box 13145 - Macon, GA 31208

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.