The Forrest Street UMC was a mission of the Valdosta FUMC with W. G. Bullock as Chairman of the Board of Missions. Bishop Arthur J. Moore appointed D. R. Dixon, a local preacher, to this church in 1941. Weekly prayer meetings were held in homes until a building could be secured. A building was rented from Mrs. E. Y. Fry and she later gave this building to the First Methodist Church for the Mission. The first worship service was held on November 30, 1941, and the first Sunday school was organized in January 1942. A sanctuary and education building was constructed, and in 1948
it was placed on the Forrest Street Charge.
In 1900, land on Strickland Cotton Mill property was given by R. F. Strickland to build a church in the Remerton Mill Village. The church became a reality in 1901. The membership of this church peaked from the 1930s to the 1950s but, in the 1970s and 1980s, membership declined due to the closing of the mill and people moving away. In 1997, Remerton UMC experienced a fire and the building was destroyed.
In 1998, New Harvest UMC was planted in the Valdosta District through the merger of Remerton UMC, which burned in March 1997, and a large number of members transferring from Forrest Street UMC to New Harvest UMC. On May 26, 1998, a meeting was held in the fellowship hall of Forrest Street UMC and the new name, New Harvest, was chosen, receiving 80% of the vote. Rev. C. Mike Benson was appointed as the first pastor and on June 21, 1998, Rev. Bill McTier led the first worship service. On June 29, 1998, a grant was received to purchase the site for the new church and on September 30, 1998, an eleven acre parcel of land was purchased. Two acres were cleared and on May 30, 1999, the first worship service on this site was held. In the summer of 2001, the construction was completed and services were being held in the new sanctuary.