Friendship UMC was founded in the early 1870's in a brush arbor across the road from the present site. Ike and Nancy Carter donated land for the church and for the cemetery. A building was constructed but destroyed by a storm in 1912
. A second building was soon built. The first recorded pastor was Rev. Elias Altman in 1899. A new church was built in 1948 and a back wing added to serve Sunday school classes in 1958. In 1980, window and roof repair where needed. A total renovation was undertaken in 1982 and finished in time for Homecoming Day in November 1983. In 1988, a charge conference was held to establish the Isaac and Nancy Carter Foundation to ensure that the property be maintained and usable. Mrs. Lois Lassiter donated land for an additional cemetery. In 1999, Friendship started a memorial service on the last Sunday in May to honor veterans, both living and deceased. In August 2002, a communion table was given by Duke and Inez Raulerson in memory of his mother, Mrs. Ella Young Raulerson. Duke and Inez Raulerson also donated a piano. In 2010, vinyl siding was added, the interior of the sanctuary was remodeled and central heat and air conditioning added to the fellowship hall.