Organized in 1912, in the Moody School House, this church was named for Bishop Frances Asbury. When more room was needed, a brush arbor was added to a shelter on J.M. Hutchinson's farm. In 1917, a one-room frame building was erected. It was painted in 1941. In 1939, Rev. J.A. Godfrey held the first Vacation Bible School. He rode all around the community picking up pupils until his car, running boards, and fenders would be overflowing. He planted the seed for a concern for Christian education. During the mid-1940s, a Methodist Youth Fellowship and Woman’s Society of Christian Service were organized. Five new Sunday school rooms were built and dedicated in 1948, and new pews were given as memorials.
In 1957, the church became part of the North Baxley Charge. Three new Sunday school rooms, a social hall, a kitchen, and two restrooms were added in 1963. In 1969, church members started a Sunday morning breakfast group of United Methodist Men. During the ministry of Rev. Freeman Porter, the church also organized a choir, a Young Adult class, and church library. In 1974, a new parsonage was built. The new church building and fellowship hall were constructed in 1983 and 1984. Bishop Looney appointed Rev. Michael T. Brown as the first full-time pastor in 1989. In 1992, Asbury UMC celebrated its 75th Anniversary.