Close to 1900, the first Methodist service in what is now Alma was held under a shelter that was part of the Deen & McLaughlin Turpentine operation. In 1902, the Alma Methodist Episcopal Church South was officially organized with 6 charter members. Services were held in a one-room public school building that was located on the block where the Bacon County Hospital is today. Layman A. M. McLaughlin was Superintendent of the Sunday school and Rev. T. D. Strong pastored the church during 1902 and 1903.
The congregation erected a new church in 1905, near the original school building. This structure was moved from this location to the corner of 14th Street and Church Street in 1920. It was torn down in 1939, and services were held in the courthouse until the new church was built. The new church was constructed in 1940, at the corner of Dixon and 5th Street in the traditional style for that period, featuring 6 columns, a high ceiling portico fronting sanctuary, social hall, and church office and Sunday school rooms. The Alma Methodist Church became a full-time station church in 1942. From 1956 through 1960, the vision to expand the facilities of the Alma Methodist Church was initiated. As funds became available, property adjacent to the Dixon Street property was acquired and a new educational facility was built between 4th and 5th Street. In 1972 the congregation approved a new sanctuary to be constructed on the corner of Dixon and 5th St, the site that had held the parsonage. The groundbreaking began in 1976, and the first service was held on October 23, 1977. The sanctuary was consecrated to the glory of our Lord in special services on February 5, 1978, with Bishop William R. Cannon presiding. The former sanctuary became the church's new Social Hall and hosts Wednesday night dinners, Sunday lunches, Christmas plays, Vacation Bible Schools and local Scout meetings.
A parsonage was built at 12th Street and Church Street and later moved to 14th Street and Church Street. In 1947 a red brick parsonage was built on the corner of Dixon and 5th Street, across from the sanctuary. In 1968, the parsonage was moved from its Dixon Street location to a lot on the west side of Douglas Street. In 2006 the Church Charge Conference voted to build a new parsonage. Groundbreaking was held in January 2007, and construction began in February 2007. Rev. Buddy and Mary Ella Whatley moved into the new parsonage on July 19, 2007, and an open house was held on Sunday, August 26, 2007.
In 1969, Alma UMC began paying a share of the support of several missionaries and mission teams. These mission trips included members and pastors of Alma UMC.
Three pastors, Rev. Tom Stroud, Rev. Kendrick Tillman and Rev. Bobby Coleman, came from this church.