In 1881, Mrs. Jane Graham and Mrs. Jim Hall organized a Methodist Church in Baxley. Mr. Lem Johnson gave land on South Park Street upon which a small, box-like church was built. It was dedicated in 1882, by Bishop Key and Rev. J. W. Stallings was appointed the first pastor in 1883. After ten years in this structure, Mr. William Beach gave a lot on the southeast corner of Main and Anthony Streets for a new church. A frame building with stained glass windows was completed in 1894, with Rev. W. D. McGregor as pastor. In 1927, under the pastorate of Rev. J. M. Foster, the land on the northeast corner of Main and Anthony Streets was purchased. The present sanctuary, with the three-storied educational building, was completed in 1929, under the pastoral leadership of Rev. M. A. Shaw. It was paid for and dedicated on November 8, 1936. Rev. W. M. Haygood was the pastor in 1954 when the present parsonage on Fair Street was completed and dedicated by Bishop Arthur J. Moore
. January 1968 saw the completion of the new Educational building and Chapel with Rev. Thomas H. Johnson as pastor.
During the years 1964-1965 and 1967-1968, Baxley FUMC was named Church of the Year for the Statesboro District.
Baxley FUMC was in the McRae District until it was dissolved in 1931; then in the Waycross District until 1963 when the Statesboro District was formed.