This church was organized in 1886 and began as a Union Church being composed of both Methodists and Baptists
. In 1896, the Methodist bought out the Baptists' interest and the Baptists organized what is now Spring Branch Baptist Church. The deed for the property was given from T. F. and Sevelle Thomas to the trustees, G. T. Melton, Leonard Sellers, and Henry Beecher. It was for Mr. Melton that the church was named. This structure was destroyed by a tornado and another sanctuary was constructed in 1904, with Lemuel Sellers as the architect. The first Sunday school was organized in 1893, and W. S. King was the first Sunday school superintendent.
In 1954-1955, Melton's Chapel participated in "The Better Home Church Program for Appling County," a radio program where the theme for this church was service. In 1954, the land became available and was purchased for a cemetery. The land was cleared on November 28, 1854, and a fence built to protect the cemetery in September 1955. Also in 1955, three classrooms, a recreation hall, and kitchen were added to the church building. An MYF was organized in 1955, under the leadership of Rev. Bill Hinson.