This church was organized as Pine Grove in 1870 and services were held in a log cabin. The name was changed to Monroe Chapel when the first building was built near the J.L. Palmer home, now Dolly Barwick's place, in 1886. The second name change was to honor Rev. J. Monroe Wilcox. The church moved to the present site in 1906. In 1919, the Broxton Circuit had three churches: Broxton, Oak Grove, and Union with Rev. M.B. Boykin pastor. The ground was broken for the new building on October 14, 1956, and by October 10, 1965, it was free of debt and dedicated. The church bell, given by T.M. Wilcox, is still used. It weighs nearly a ton and is tuned to the key of E-flat.
In 1965, the church merged with Old Union. In 2005, the United Methodist Women delivered hand-made quilts to the Methodist Home in Macon and, in 2007, the church held a "Back to School" blast for their pre-K through 5th-grade students.