This church is the outgrowth of a Sunday School that met in a bunk house of the Atlantic Refining Company Plant, which was a few blocks from the present church. It had 22 charter members with 23 more added the following year. The church was organized March, 1925, and named for the community, which took its name from the plant's initials ARCO. The first building was wooden. The old church at Cresent was dismantled and moved to this present site and rebuilt. Sunday School rooms were built in 1942, and the sanctuary was built in 1944, by the side of the old building. These were renovated in 1963, under the pastorate of Rev. S. P. Clary.
In 1953, a Wesleyan Service Guild was organized under the leadership of Mrs. J. Schlep Willis, wife of the pastor. In appreciation of her dedicated service, the Guild placed the beautiful baptismal font in the church in her honor. It continues to be used today.
In 2001, The social hall and kitchen were remodeled, with the help of A. J. and Dot Herrin. In 2002, Arco UMC was one of the sights for the Summer Lunch Program for children under 18 living in Brunswick and, in 2003, the church served as the Day Center for the Family Promise Program.
In the days of the very active refinery, there were many people living in this area. Rev. J. E. Sampley, a visiting evangelist, in 1930 received 38 new members at one service and Rev. Dan Williams, in 1947, received a class of 66 new members. At the beginning of this church, it was part of the Brunswick Circuit and later with St. Simons Island.