Covid-19 Update from the Bishop & Cabinet: Watching carefully the rise in COVID infection rates

Brunswick First UMC - Coastal


Organized in 1838 in the original wooden building of Glynn Academy, the city school, this church had 171 white and 60 black members. Rev. Henry T. Ritchford was the first pastor. In 1844, when the Florida Conference was formed, the lower part of Georgia was included. Brunswick was head of the Brunswick-St. Mary's Circuit in the new conference. In 1866, the Georgia and Florida conferences were realigned, and Brunswick was returned to the new South Georgia Conference as head of the Brunswick District. The wooden building, built in 1861, was enlarged in 1895. The present brick building was completed in 1907 and remodeled in 1967-68, at which time the sanctuary was redesigned with a split chancel. The front of the altar is an illuminated wood-carved reproduction of Da Vinci's "Last Supper."  Centered behind the altar is an inset Cross of Passion done in facet glass. In 1953, a fire destroyed the educational annex. The first unit, enlarged and rebuilt, was occupied in 1955. Bishop Arthur Moore consecrated the second unit in 1960. This church has been called "First" since 1886 when it became the sponsoring church for McKendree, which was the name of the First Church pastor, McKendree F. McCook. This church has hosted the South Georgia Conference in 1885, 1907, 1933, and 1947.
The church celebrated its 150th year in 1988. At that time, some of the church programs included children's choir, handbell ringers, a young people's Puppet Troup, and one of the oldest sponsored Boy Scout troops in the area. Over the years, the church has sent several mission teams to Honduras, Bolivia, Zimbabwe, and Haiti. In 1991, the church received the Carruth Mission Award for donating the most money to missions for that year. In 1994, the carillon system was donated and installed in the steeple. A Cub Scout Troop and Disciple I Bible Study were started in 1994-1995. In 1998 additional land was purchased for parking, renovation of the educational building and sanctuary was completed, and a new organ installed. In 2000, the new parsonage in Oak Grove Island was completed and the old Dan Vaden dealership property was purchased. A Contemporary Praise service, located in the showroom, was started in 2001. In 2002, a praise band was organized for the Contemporary Praise service and the church Youth Group was named by the South Georgia Conference for the second year as "Youth Group of the Year". In October 2006, the church began a ministry with Hispanics under the leadership of Rev. D. C. Medina.



1400 Norwich Street
Brunswick GA 31520

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters


Conference Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Administrative Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.