The tract of land where the church now stands was granted by the King of England to Jacob Helveston on September 2, 1767. In 1808, it was transferred to James Fort, who gave the land to the church in 1810. Rev. Callingsworth founded the chapel and cemetery grounds in 1810. This church was first known as the Chapel and then the Brunswick Chapel. In 1858, it was known as Burnett's Chapel after Samuel Burnett, a leading Methodist layman and a member of the church. In 1864, construction of a new sanctuary was completed by Mr. Silas W. Taylor, hence the name of the church was changed in appreciation of his gift.
In July 1953, this church became a station with Rev. J. B. Lanier as pastor and a new, brick parsonage was built. In 1957, during the pastorate of Rev. W. L. Peed, the chapel and first floor of the educational building was completed and dedicated by Bishop Arthur J. Moore in 1959
. The second floor was completed in 1962. The present parsonage was built during Rev. Tom Barrett's ministry 1965-1971.
In 1987, the adjoining Jones property was bought and dedicated in 1989. The Jones House served as the Helping Hands Clothing Closet and Scout House for Troop 201. In 1996, construction began on the family life center and prayer garden. 2001 saw the creation of the Taylors Tots program and construction of the Taylors Tots building began in 2004-2005. The Church and Valerie Gill Habitat for Humanity home were dedicated on April 23, 2006. In 2015, The Chapel in Brunswick teamed up with Taylors UMC to provide contemporary worship to this part of the city.