With five charter members, this church was organized at a service in the courthouse in August 1888. Rev. Carey M. Infinger, the pastor of the Broxton Circuit, was the first pastor. The old wooden courthouse was purchased and used for services for five years. About 1895, Mr. B. Peterson built and furnished a new building on East Jackson Street. In 1906, a brick building was erected on North Madison Street, Rev. L. A. Hill, pastor. In 1953, the whole block was purchased and work was begun on the complete new plant. While Rev. Frank Robertson was the pastor, the educational building and social hall were completed and services were held in the social hall while the old sanctuary and education buildings were torn down. In 1959, work began on the new sanctuary, chapel, offices, and classroom, and they were in use in April 1960, Rev. McCoy Johnson, pastor. Additional improvements have been made to the Social Hall building, with additional classrooms, outdoor storage, and a playground. A porte-cochere has also been added to the office area
. This has been done during the pastorate of Rev. Carlton Church.
In 1966, a weekday kindergarten was begun. In 1970, the old parsonage was converted for use as a youth center for several years. A new parsonage on Chester Avenue, built with bricks from the old sanctuary in 1958, was purchased. In 1985, Douglas First was Church of the Year for the Waycross District. The church celebrated its Centennial in 1988. At that time there was an active UMW, Methodist Men, MYF, and Keen Age Club for seniors, and the church supported two missionaries to Africa. In the 1990s, the church expanded its parking and acquired a new youth house and church bus. In 2008, the church started a prayer breakfast for the youth which met once a week before school.