Rev. Frank L. Robertson and the Commission of Membership and Evangelism felt a need to expand the ministry of the Methodist Church in Douglas. This led to the creation of St. Mark's, which was officially organized on May 23, 1954. The first service was held on Sunday, June 6, 1954, with Rev. L. P. Mindledorff preaching in a tent set up on the location chosen for the church. A house was purchased and made ready for worship services and the first appointed pastor was Rev. Louis O. Puckett. The Woman's Society of Christian Service was established with Mrs. W. M. Griffin as its first president. In September 1960, the first unit of the church consisting of 6 classrooms and two restrooms were purchased. The original property was sold. Under Rev. William H. Hinson's pastorate, the new chapel and additional rooms were consecrated on May 13, 1962. Groundbreaking for the parsonage occurred on May 24, 1964.