The Folkston church began as a mission of the Waycross District in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The name "Folkston" first appeared in the Conference Journal in 1883 and Rev. J. R. Crowder was assigned to the Folkston Mission that year. Folkston UMC has had a long and useful history. First organized at old Center Village, approximately two miles east of Folkston, it was later moved to a site just west of the A.C.L. Railroad in Folkston. This building was demolished by a storm in 1896 and rebuilt in 1897. From the beginning, the Sunday school was always the most active department of the church.
A revival in 1912 sparked a movement to relocate the church to the eastern side of town. There was a lot of dissension in this move
. In 1913, the membership voted by a slight majority to move the building to its present location since Folkston was expanding with new families more rapidly on the eastern side of the railroad. After much discussion and controversy, the little church came to town in two pieces - the main building was skidded through the sand along the way and the steeple made the trip in a wagon
. It was pulled safely across the tracks between ten and twelve noon because that was the only time trains were not passing through Folkston. The workers reassembled the building on the site of the present Folkston UMC. In 1924, educational rooms and a porch were built on the eastern side of the little church, making the whole structure into the form of a Greek cross. The building was remodeled later with a Spanish style stucco facade.
Shortly before World War II, members began considering the possibility of building a new church. During the early 1940s, a building fund was started to construct the new church. Rev. Weyman Cleveland preached the last sermon in the small church on Sunday evening, September 8, 1951. The following morning, workers began clearing the lot and dismantling the church. On September 30, 1951, the members celebrated Groundbreaking Day. Mrs. B. G. McDonald dug the first spade of dirt for the new church. The formal opening worship service of the present day church was held on Sunday, November 15, 1952.
Fifty years later, on November 3, 2002, during a Jubilee Celebration, groundbreaking for the new Family Life Building took place. The sanctuary was filled, with approximately 300 in attendance. A processional hymn was sung by the Chancel Choir as the congregation passed over into the new Family Life Building where the Service of Consecration was held. The Greeting and Declaration of Purpose were done by Rev. David
Unkles, followed by a scripture reading by Barbie Dinkins. The presentation of the building was given by Joe Hopkins and the Act of Consecration was given by District Superintendent Rev. William Beasley. What has been accomplished through the years was evidence of the faith of the people.