In the eastern part of Wayne County a church was organized in 1888, and named Mt. Pleasant for the community it served. A building of virgin-heart, yellow pine was erected in 1892. The interior was described as "one of the most lovely county churches in this section." When, in 1945, the building was restored by the Akin family, the church was rededicated, October 7, and named Akin Memorial. An educational unit was dedicated in 1961, and a new assembly room added in 1966. In 1919, this church was on the Granberry Ct., Waycross District, with Rev. J.A. Cook the pastor for Mt. Pleasant, Taylors Chapel, and Everett City. In 1921, it was on the Darien-Townsend Charge with Rev. L.E. Williams, pastor. In 1929, it was on the Brunswick Ct. with 5 churches, back to Darien Charge in 1946, and, in 1961, it was placed on the new Epworth Charge. In 1963, the Epworth Charge received the Circuit of the Year Award and, in 1981, Akin Memorial won "Church of the Year".
In 1991 church cemetery planning was started and the church was taken off the Epworth Charge and received its own pastor, Rev. Dane Dasher. In 1993-1994 stained glass windows were installed. In 2007 a new fellowship building with a stage and kitchen was added.