Homeland UMC - Coastal


History

Homeland was organized in the summer of 1908, with the first services held in the Colony Company building by Rev. I. R. Kelly, the first pastor of the Folkston Mission. A two-story school, complete with a large bell, was constructed and the services were held there. In 1912, a concrete block community church was built by all of the men in the community helping with the construction. The Baptists and Methodists shared this building until 1916. C. W. Waughtel presented the land upon which the present church is located in 1916. Led by John Waughtel, the men of the church constructed the building. Mrs. John Waughtel established the custom of preparing the Sunday meals on preaching Sundays for the pastor and his family and continued doing this until her death in 1932. The Woman's Christian Society was formed in 1940, with 10 charter members. Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Waughtel's daughter, Geraldine, was the first bride to be married in the church. The property was given by Mrs. Minnie Clay and Mr. and Mrs. George White enlarged the church grounds. In 1954, Homeland members and members of the circuit helped with the construction and furnishing of the Okefenokee Circuit's parsonage with Rev. W. E. McCord as pastor. The first Vacation Bible School was held in 1956, led by Mrs. Geraldine Norwood. Extensive renovations to the church occurred in the 1970s, with two Sunday school rooms, two restrooms and a kitchen being added. In 1990, a new room for preschool children was added. 

 

Location

Walnut St.
Folkston GA 31537

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

735 Pierce Avenue - Macon, GA 31204

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-475-9286

Administrative Office

520 Professional Drive, Suite 1 - Macon, GA 31201

PO Box 13145 - Macon, GA 31208

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.